Policy, Advocacy and Reporting Group Services
The Commissioner exercising the Child Guardian function is the independent external monitor of the child safety and youth justice systems in Queensland. The aim is to strengthen Queensland's child safety and youth justice systems by monitoring and reviewing information about the effectiveness of services to children and young people.
To achieve this the Commission:
- administers a statewide Individual Advocacy and Resolution Service to regularly visit children and young people in alternative care, including foster care, so services can be monitored and issues addressed as necessary
- responds to, investigates and seeks to resolve complaints in relation to the provision of services to children and young people in the child safety and youth justice systems
- monitors, audits and reviews the systems, policies and practices of relevant departments and other service providers and the handling of individual cases of children in the child safety system by the department
- conducts research to help inform understanding on matters affecting the safety and wellbeing of children and young people, and
- reviews and provides advice on laws, policies and practices that impact upon children and young people.
The Policy, Advocacy and Reporting Group is made up of:
- Individual Advocacy and Resolution
- Systemic Monitoring and Review, and
- Strategic Policy and Research.
Last Updated: April 12, 2012